It’s been a while since I did an ultra, in fact this will only be my 4th event this year after the Cheltenham Challenge half, the 9-to-5 charity run and Boddington 50km. Even by my standards this is a slow year.
I’m going to try and write a few blogs this week on the lead up to the event.
For the approaching trail 50miler through Wendover Woods there’s a proper kit list. I will need to pack and prepare. For me this normally means a lot of disproportionate fretting. I really do over think this stuff.
My kit list will essentially be...
- Race vest (10ltr Salomon)
- Bottles (x4) 2 in drop bag
- 2xu shorts
- Brooks shorts
- Salomon jacket
- Buff (x2) 1 in drop bag
- Salomon beanie
- Patagonia cap
- Salomon Cup
- Nike fleece top (in dry bag)
- Petzls x2 + batteries
- Run gloves
- Buff beanie (in dry bag)
- Adidas Terex
- Salmon speedcross (in drop bag)
- CEP socks x3 (1 in dry bag and one in drop bag)
- Road ID
- Run tops (tbc)
- Gels etc plus some food in car to eat post race
- Barrier cream (applied liberally at start and then in drop bag for emergency)
The route is 5 laps of 10 miles and has 9,500ft of gain and descent in total. I thought I’d done a good copy of this at the weekend with 10 miles through the woods and 1,500ft. This was hard enough and actually falls around 400ft short of a lap come race day.
With a 15hr cut off it could be a looooooong day.