Friday, December 18, 2009

Races...

So having made the decision, last night, not to go ahead with the Thames Trot I have reinvigorated my training and mojo by entering the Gloucester Marathon that takes place on January 24th and the Mayhill Massacre that takes place on February 7th.

I took delivery of my first issue of Adventure Magazine today that has an article on ultra running and about being prepared. Having read this i am comfortable with the decision - there is no point in rushing to do the first one. I hope that by doing the Gloucester Marathon i will then be able to continue with the training to build to an ultra later in the year. That will enable me to build my mileage steadily over the coming months and in improved climate conditions. The training completed to date gives me a great base to push from.

The last marathon i did, was also my first, was back in 1998. It was the Flora London Marathon in April 1998. I completed it in around 4hrs 20minutes. I am excited to see what I can do now being much fitter, better prepared and much lighter than i was 11 years ago!

So what was a slightly depressing decision yesterday feels like the right one today. I can taper to the marathon in 4 weeks and then push on.

I will do an ultra just later in the year...