Thursday, January 27, 2011

Did i really just measure my thighs?

I had an appointment recently with the fracture clinic as part of my ACL rehab. They confirmed that progress with my knee is excellent and there was talk of me being allowed to get back running at 10 weeks as opposed to the normal 12 such was my progress.

I think in part this is as i was in good shape going into the operation making recuperation a more positive experience.

The final comment was then that my left leg is a bit smaller than they would normally like at this stage post op. Great so that means more dips and lunges etc.

So when i got home i wanted to see how much difference there was so in an Adrian Mole moment i measured my good thigh - 52cm and my recovering thigh - 48cm. Hmm 4cm difference which is just short of 8%. It seems quite a lot and actually quite how i will generate 4cm of extra only on one leg is a little beyond me at the moment. 

I have resolved to do more dips more regularly and in fact had a "don't ask" moment earlier this week. I was in the loo drying my hands with the electric hand dryer and taking the opportunity to do some dips at the same time. My mind wandered and a chap walked in and saw me doing this.....

He looked at me and me at him. All i could say was "knee surgery" he nodded then disappeared into a cubicle!