Sunday, August 7, 2011

Cyprus almost Barefoot

This evening (Saturday 6th August) I went for a run, I've been here a
week and run 6 times. Tonight was different as I ran in my vibram
fivefingers. I did a route that I ran yesterday and thought it would
be good as there was a lot of trail which would be softer underfoot.

I've read a lot about barefoot running, the benefits the negatives the
folklore. Those that love it live it and those that don't just don't
bother.

My experience tonight is one that is far from unique in barefoot
circles but was new to me.

I set out and frankly was mincing. I was struggling for a rhythm. As I
relaxed my stride settled and I felt light and supple. Although on
trails there was a lot of shingle. After a couple of sweary moments
where I landed plum on a piece I noticed that my feet relaxed and that
my forefoot was landing more supple. By that I mean I was using my
whole forefoot not just the ball of my foot.

On the softer trails I felt great. Feet were skimming the surface and
I was barely making a sound. On Tarmac it was a little different.

The temperature outside today was in the region of 38c. The road was
hot and as I ran on the Tarmac I could feel my feet getting hotter.
This resulted in a blister in the middle of the ball of my left foot.
Nothing too major but certainly something that will see me back in
conventional running shoes for tomorrow.

What was good though was that I found a comfortable pace in the heat.
I cannot run as fast in vibrams as I can in shoes so I didn't. Running
slower felt comfortable, relaxed feet and breathing. It's still hot as
hell but not once was i struggling.

I love my vibrams, I've worn them to walk the dog, on hikes in woods
with family and on the school run. Today wearing them on a run I
finally got them, they make sense and feel good. The sensations you
get in your feet feel brand new yet they shouldn't.

A responsive ride, excellent shock absorption and cushioning that
changes with every step. No arch support required, no torsion control
necessary, no air bubbles, no waffles, no zig-zag.

Ladies and gentlemen you just met your feet. The best running shoe ever made.