Sunday, May 12, 2013

Runner...

This morning highlighted what i have known for months, years but made it really clear.

Sunday mornings i normally do a couple of hours on my bike. I've been cycling as my knee has been knackered so i've not been able to run. This morning was the Cheltenham Sportive from the Sandford Parks Lido, an 88 mile sportive around the Cotswolds.

I knew a couple of people doing it and last weekend was feeling pretty keen to do it myself.

Then the weather changed, our summer was last weekend, since then it's been progressively windier and wetter. I pulled out of the sportive, not that i had actually entered.

I did then plan, instead, to do a couple of hours on the bike and follow that up with a short run. This has been my approach over the last week or so. Cycle home and then do a short run.

It's felt great to be running on roads again.

This morning i dispensed with the bike altogether and just went for a run. Nothing earth shattering. Just shy of 2.5 miles in a little over 20 minutes. It felt great, no issues with the knee with legs and lungs feeling great.

I actually felt like a runner again......

I still need to keep it slow and steady and not get too carried away. I know what i am capable of in recovery, when i had cruciate surgery i ran a 41min 10km x-country within 6 months. This last op was nothing like that so i expect to be able to steadily increase mileage and time over the coming weeks. 5km is the target next weekend - might even try it at Cheltenham Park Run if all goes well this week.

The point being that i am a runner and that is what i love and what i daydream about doing. I don't daydream about riding my bike, never have.