Sunday, July 21, 2013

Park Run #22 - Cheltenham

This weekend I took part, along with some of the LRFC Cougars u13's, a
couple of their parents and around 198 others in the 22nd edition of
Cheltenham Park Run. A timed 5km event in a park every Saturday
morning.

I have been targeting doing this for some time as love the idea of it
and its a good distance to try and generate some speed in.

On the back of a good week of running I decided to go for it as much
as I could. I got caught out with the lads from the team near the back
so made the decision late to go for it. When I say late I mean around
300m in. Then it was a case of making up ground.

I did this with a burst to get past and clear a couple of runners then
a quick recovery and push again. The course is fast and flat so
perfect.

At the start I was looking for 21mins. I thought this was achievable
on current form. To cross the line in 19:40 was dreamland. To be first
in my age group even better (I'm now a Veteran Male 40-44!!) and I
wasn't chicked (not that I really care about that).

The lads seemed to enjoy it and there was much talk of doing it again.

I will be going back very soon.