Thursday, August 29, 2013

Runner or jogger?

Runner or jogger?

I have seen a lot written about whether you are a runner or a jogger?
A simple question that you could be forgiven for thinking what's the
difference or more likely who cares? But people do. I'd say runners
care, for some reason not wanting to be called a jogger.

Jogging isn't running would be the rationale. Jogging is jogging and
running is running? But what's the difference? A lot of it seems to be
about pace and ability. Runners nailing sub-7minute miles and jogger's
going at a steady 8:30.

I think that's off the mark and the difference, if there is one, is
about attitude. I know a lot of runners and not many that jog. That's
not to say that the pace is different but the attitude is. The runners
I know talk about almost nothing else. In the same way that a
Yorkshireman will let you know he's from Yorkshire within 5 minutes so
a runner will bring the conversation to running in a similar, maybe
quicker, timeframe.

Runners know their PB's because they worked towards them and are, most
likely, focused on breaking them. Kit, races done and coming up,
training distances (talked about as volume) and injuries. Endless
stories of injuries, knees, calf-strains, hamstrings, lower back,
Achilles, etc etc ad nauseum.

A jogger may be someone that "...gets round..." - has no drive beyond
the goal in front of them and is happy to just get around the course,
whether it be 5km, 10km, marathon or ironman. The developments in
training, affordability of kit and increased knowledge of sport means
that someone with minimal training can complete a course. A runner
would not be happy with just completing unless an injury during the
race itself meant that was all that they could achieve.

This state of mind extends further, runners, in my experience, rarely
think of much else. Planning routes, planning the next run. How early
will I need to get up to run or how late will I need to stay up to
run. How far and at what tempo should I run. How much time do I have
and that its never enough.

I'm a runner and for me it's about more than just running. It keeps me
sane. I am like a stroppy toddler if I don't run for a few days, I'm
really not happy. It gives me thinking time, headroom, balance. I'm
not necessarily a good runner but in my mind I am a runner - I have
that state of mind.

I have nothing against jogger's, in many ways what they do is harder.
Punishing yourself with something that you are not necessarily
passionate about takes a different mindset. That comes with no
pressure too though, so who cares if a 10km takes more than hour? A
marathon completed in more than 5hrs is still a marathon completed,
and you could argue that it's harder to do it in 5+ rather than 3'ish.

The more I run the more I want to run. It's starting to feel like the
reason I am me is because I run.


Sent from my iPad