Sunday, December 1, 2013

Ultra Training Week #4

An unexpectedly good week really. The schedule was:

Rest, 4 miles, 6 miles, 4 miles, rest, 20 miles, 8 miles, rest. Giving a total of 42 planned miles for the week, I managed 45.8 miles.

At the start of the week I thought that the 20 miler was I jeopardy as I had a Christmas meal and night out planned for the Wednesday I that London. That turned into a pretty big night out with Guinness, red wine, jäger-bombs, lager and tequila all making an appearance and with a 4am finish to boot. Lucky then that the next day was a rest day;) I actually recovered from the night pretty well - relief!

Friday has been long run day so far and normally I have split the run over two sessions but try to do more of it in the morning. For a planned 20 miles I'd aim for a 15 / 5 split.

That didn't happen this week with my long run being an 8.6/9.7 split.
Miles, though, are miles.

The week finished with an 8 mile run on Saturday evening. This run started pretty steady with a mile with Frankie (my dog) the remaining 7 I ran solo picking up the pace a bit.

I then made a stupid mistake which I felt this morning. Recovery was lager and a curry. Only a couple but enough that today I have felt sluggish and lethargic. I woke in the night a couple of times needing
water too which never happens. Pretty stupid.

I am 4 weeks into a 20 week programme and 10miles head of schedule. I'm feeling pretty good, still motivated and as importantly, still intact. I am running steady and comfortably. The cooler conditions are helping that - I am dreading the rain. The only minor issue I have had is with dry skin on my feet. They have both cracked on the outside edge of the sole of my foot and heel. About 10 days ago it was really painful. Some heel cream liberally applied has fixed the problem and is now a part of my regime. Got to look after your feet.

This coming week will be about good food, hydration and steady miles.