Saturday, December 14, 2013

Ultra Training - Week #6

An easy week this week, longest run was 10 miles and total mileage only projected at 28 although i did just over 32. 

An odd week for me; with it being easy I really relaxed and was looking like falling off the wagon a little at the start. I missed Monday and Wednesday through work commitments but pulled it back at the end. I did discover this week how much running with music makes you faster, hardly news but it made a real difference for me. I have been running at around 7:40'ish pace for much of my mileage. 

Putting on my running playlist on Spotify and I was cruising at easily sub 7. I wouldn't do it all the time as one reason I am still in this is because I have been taking it easy but it is nice to stretch your legs a bit. After all training long and slow just creates a long and slow athlete. 

I have also been continuing to focus on form, as I listen to more and more podcasts and watch an increasing number of Salomon YouTube videos (I really need more of a life) the importance of form is so vitally important. Funny really as you'd think that running was just, well, running. It is; but there's still a technique to it. Looking at the soles of my Brooks Ghost (that I have done around 450 miles in) there is pretty much zero wear in the heel yet the front is pretty much flat. Really good evidence that I am running with good technique. Also that I am not succumbing to niggles or aches and pains is also evidence. As I increase the mileage maintaining the form will be difficult but the habits appear good so far.

Next week is a long week with the longest run at 22 miles, I need to balance this with the work Christmas party. That will mean losing that day and, being realistic the following one (maybe two!!). My plan is to run short on Monday (maybe 5 miles across two runs) then Tuesday to get up early and do the long run before heading to work. All being equal I will be on the road for 6:30 at the latest. Wednesday there is then a 10km race at work that I will do. After that everything will be a bonus. 

After 6 weeks I've run 232 miles. There's 14 weeks and around 634 training miles to go.....