Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Fund raising

When you run do you do it for sponsorship?

I haven't done for some time, this mainly because what I was doing
wasn't significant enough to warrant it. A lot of people run marathons
these days, I'm not doing an ironman and lots of people raise money
all the time. How can I ask those same people sponsoring all those
other people to sponsor me?

Well in the face of all that I did just that. I had entered the
Cheltenham Ultimate Challenge - a 75km ultra, thinking this
significant enough I registered on just giving to raise money for
diabetes setting a conservative target of £250.

Then the unthinkable - injury. I couldn't do the event. Gutted and
added pressure. I offered people their money back, none of them wanted
it. But what do I do now? I have committed to running 75k and it could
look like I just wimped out. I really didn't.

I have some ideas although there are few ultras that look suitable
this side of Christmas.

I may change tack and go for the Thames Trot instead. That's a 50
miler on the River Thames in February. That would be enough time to
get properly fit and a good event to do. It's also one of the first
ultras that I considered running when I first conceived of running
this type of distance.

My sponsors have been great but I cannot help but feel I have let them
down. The sooner I have something on the calendar to fulfil that
obligation I will be much happier.

You can still sponsor me here ;)

https://www.justgiving.com/Marcus-Bosano/