Thursday, February 5, 2015

Ultra Beard - A Thames Trot Kit List

It's now 2 days until the Thames Trot. Just writing that gives me
goosebumps and then a smidge of fear....

I have been, as I blogged before, really struggling with what kit to
wear and use. This is a kit list as I think of it now.

Working from the ground up...

Shoes and socks are easy, my Adistar Boost trainers will be on my
feet. I've not run in them for a couple of weeks so they should feel
fresh. They also only have around 400 miles of wear in the so should
be perfect. Socks is another easy one as it will be some inov8 ankle
socks that I use all the time. Having tried all manner of socks these
work best for me.

Calf guards, again easy, I have some super-snug Compressport ones that
I will be wearing. Shorts is less obvious. I will be wearing shorts as
I always do. Even though temperatures are going to be between 0-4c I
won't start in tights. I have some choices for shorts, TNF Better than
Naked shorts or some skins shorts and a pair of brooks shorts over
them. The TNF shorts are the best I have ever worn. Roomy, comfortable
and with innovative pockets and stowage. But....if I want to put on
some run tights later in the race it would mean going commando as the
TNF shorts have the cycling short liner bit built in. If I opt for the
Skins/Brooks combo and then want to put tights on later I can slide
the over the Skins shorts. Decisions decisions and one that is taking
far too much of my thought time right now.

I have similar issues with the top half! I have been experimenting
with a number of tops and combos but think I will go for a Nike combat
under shirt that has a high neck and a light fleece lining protecting
the core. It's not particularly thick but does give some protection.
On top of that I will wear a Nike combat T-shirt that is one of the
normal thin varieties, on top of that a long sleeve Gore running
shirt. I'll also wear some running gloves.

I'll top the ensemble off with a buff and a Salomon race beanie. I've
been experimenting on my colder runs and can fashion the two together
to make a sort of balaclava looking piece of head gar. Pulling the
buff up over my ears and then pinning it under my bottom lip with the
beanie holding it in place.

I'll be using my Salomon S-lab race vest (I have the 5ltr version) to
carry my gear. I'll have a litre of water in the soft flasks on the
front. All the gel pockets will be stuffed with, er, gels and shot
bloks. In the main stow area I will carry a couple of solid energy
bars for when gels become too sickly and then some spare clothing. I
am planning to carry a pair of run tights (depending on what shorts I
wear) and a spare long sleeved run shirt. This will likely be a Crane
winter cycling compression top that is really snug, high necked and
warm. I'll also have my Salomon S-lab rain shell just in case the
weather takes a turn and also for added warmth should I need it. An
additional layer may be essential as the day wears on.

I also need to carry some maps, a compass, head torch (with spare
batteries) my phone and my ipod/headphones. The vest also comes with
it's own space blanket which I will make sure is on board.

I'll also have my ultra-beard with me.




Sent from my iPad