Saturday, December 12, 2015

You never regret the runs you do?

....only the ones you don't. Right?

Normally I'd agree, heck even more than that I have tweeted this and posted it on other social networks. A slogan for a t-shirt, a soundbite for the generation that loves a quote and the more motivational the better.

I would normally endorse that position and however reluctant i have been to get out the door once I'm out and with things flowing it does feel good. No regrets.

Today wasn't like that.

I don't normally write about training runs; they are normally all positive for one reason or other. The performance, the view, the mood, the flow, the distance, a new route, an experience... whether they be a 2.5 mile commute, 20 mile long run or self supported marathon or ultra distance i just love to run.

Today was different. I headed out the door around 2:30, it was cold and blowing a gale, it wasn't raining but there was wet in the air. I had a route of sorts in mind, planning a hilly route of around 15-18 miles. It would be hard and in the conditions even harder.

Running the first mile was into a head wind. Hard work. A couple of times i pretty much stopped. My Garmin vibrated after a kilometre and i was on 7:30 pace - hard work maybe but still running strong. I turned a corner and the wind was no longer in my face, my pace picked up a little.

I really wasn't feeling it though and at around 4 miles did think that the best option might be to bale and run the 2.5 home from there. I checked my watch and despite not feeling it i was running well. I decided to continue as running through town there were a number of places i could easily abandon the run and be home pretty quick.

Continuing i ran to Harp Hill, short and sharp i have run this a few times of late. It's a fantastic leg and lung test. Half way up i had to walk. That was it i knew i had to go home. I had been fighting it all the way around. I slowed my pace significantly, managing my effort to just get home. I didn't feel like i wouldn't make it but neither did i feel i could knock out anything quick.

When i got in i tested my blood sugar and i was slightly hypo at 3.6mmol. When i left i was high. I think i felt sluggish at the start as high blood sugar will do that. The weather was also a major factor. The wind was sapping, with proper blood sugar levels though that wouldn't bother me.

My heart rate was more elevated than normal for a run of that type and average pace. It would normally be around 120bpm but was at 130bpm today. That would be the impact of the weather but also indicative of perhaps a deeper fatigue or malaise? Higher heart rates indicating a body working harder.

All of this would not have mattered except that now a few hours on and i feel a bit rubbish. Depleted, empty and cold to my bones. I had Domino's tonight, something i rarely if ever do and only did as they have an option to order a cheeseless pizza (#vegan).

I'm sure it won't come to anything and that after a day or two i will be raring to go again but i wish i had listened to my body at mile 4 and just headed home.

It's not often i regret a run but today was one of those days...